One of the most often consumed breakfast is toast. Simply because they are convenient and pretty easy to make in the morning and head out the door. Yet on some days, we feel like having something special to start our morning. And not forget the fact that having a good breakfast can help lift up our mood. All we need is just a few extra minutes to turn a plain toast into something more fun, tasty and nutritional.
All being said let’s dig right into the fun part. When it comes to toasts, there is no end to creativity. Here are a few tips on how to make any piece of bread turn into something delicious and healthy.
1. Base: Take a good loaf of bread, a better one with loads of fiber. I like using Austrian bread called brot.
2. Spread: Select your favorite spread such as cream cheese, guacamole, baba ganoush, hummus, nut butter, chocolate/ hazelnut spread.
3. Topping: Choose toppings that you like for example lettuce, spinach, avocado, egg in any form be it poached, boiled, scrambled or sunny side up, your favorite fruit.
4. The final touch: To add some more flavor or crunch, you add herbs, spices, olive oil, lemon juice, cinnamon, chia seeds or flaxseeds, coconut flakes, roasted nuts.
Today I am sharing my favorite 3 different ways for healthy breakfast toasts which you can make in less than 15 minutes. So it is perfect for those busy mornings giving you a healthy kickstart. These protein and fiber packed toasts are pretty filling and will help you hold up till lunchtime without starving.
Raspberry Peanut Butter Toast
- 1 slice toast preferably whole wheat
- 1 tbsp peanut butter I use all natural
- 5-6 raspberries
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- Toast the slice of bread. Spread peanut butter and layer it with raspberries.
- Drizzle honey.
Avocado Egg Toast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- salt, pepper to season
- Toast the bread.
- To poach the egg, boil water in a pan or a bowl. As soon as the water comes to a boil, add a tbsp vinegar to it. This helps the egg stay together. Crack the egg in a small bowl. Give the boiling water a stir and as you stir, pour the egg. After around two minutes, when the egg looks firm enough take it out.
- To prepare a quick avocado spread, slice avocado and put it on the toasted bread. With the help of a fork mash it into a spread, add salt and lemon juice.
- Assemble the poached egg onto the avocado toast. Drizzle some olive oil and season the egg with salt and pepper.
Mushroom Avocado Toast
- 1 slice toast preferably, whole wheat
- 1/2 avocado
- 3-4 mushrooms thinly sliced
- 11/2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to season
- 1 tsp lemon juice (optional)
- Start with sauteing the mushrooms in olive oil, if you like you can also add garlic to it. Cook mushrooms until soft and slightly brown. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toast the bread and layer it with sliced avocado. With the help of a fork gently mash the avocado on the toast so that it form to a spread. Drizzle half tbsp olive oil.
- Add sauted mushrooms on the top of the toast and season with lemon juice. Enjoy