Experience gourmet food at home with the easy to make black truffle pasta. Truffles are generally considered as a gourmet food due to its rarity and high prices. Black truffles range from 3,000 € to 4,000 € per kilogram. White truffles are slightly bigger in size and more expensive. According to the Independent an 850 grams white truffle from Alba, Italy was sold for $97,000.
Truffles grow in the shadow of the oak and hazel trees in certain areas around the world. In Europe, south of France, Perigord and some regions in Italy such as Piedmont, Tuscany, Umbria and Le Marche.
Taste wise black truffles are more earthy, intense and pungent in taste whereas white truffles are milder. However, black truffles are more widely available than white ones. So in the peak of the truffle season, I got my hands on truffle pesto which was prepared with mushrooms and truffle oil.
I was really excited to try this out. So I decided to give my creamy mushroom pasta a truffly twist. And as expected it was a huge hit in my family. If you want to impress your friends and family, then make sure to add the black truffle pasta to your menu.
Black Truffle Pasta
- 300 grams pasta of your choice
- 3 tsp salt
- 250 grams mushrooms sliced
- 1 onion cubed
- 150 grams heavy cream
- 150 grams milk
- 3-4 tbsp truffle pesto or truffle sauce
- 1 cube vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp truffle oil for garnish
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil pasta with 3 tsp salt.
- In a pan, saute onion and garlic till golden brown. Then add sliced mushrooms and continue sauteing till firm and the liquid is evaporated.
- Add cream, milk, vegetable stock cube, nutmeg powder, truffle pesto and bring it to a boil. Finally add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add pasta to the sauce and mix well. Enjoy!